List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-15 4:39:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 06:26, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> > To be blunt, reading one book is just a first step.
>
> Well, I never claimed to be an usability-expert, just because I bought
> a book. My point is that I'm actually trying to learn more, instead of
> just sitting on my arse. And that process involves lots of steps. I
> have taken just few of them, but I have taken them, and I'm taking
> more. But I have to take that first step before I can take more steps.

Good first step :)

The second step I advice everyone to take is to recognize that "you are
not the user".  In other words, your personal experience of what works
and what does not work is just one user and tells the developers
absolutely nothing about the usefullness of a feature or idea. Unless we
ask a couple of million of users to answer what they think.  Which
naturally does not work.

So; if you stop to think that one persons user experience is telling for
the crowds and you either ask a lot of users in a proper usability setup
or you follow usability practices (or both) then you can make a
contribution based on concepts other usability people will respect and in
the end developers will start to respect and use :)
--
Thomas Zander