List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-21 9:59:33

On Friday 21 February 2014 09:22:52 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2014 08:37:57 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > On Friday 17 January 2014 17:49:49 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > > Hey guys
> > >
> > > I think we need an dot article/blog post informing the public about
> > > Baloo.
> > > Which would you adivse? A dot article will seem more formal and
> > > representing KDE. Whereas a blog post from me will seem more from me
> > > instead of all of KDE.
> > >
> > > Does someone want to help me write this article? I imagine it should \
> > > be worded quite carefully.
> > >
> > > I've created an etherpad note on - \
> > > https://notes.kde.org/p/BalooArticle I'm
> > > still filling it out.
> >
> > So, implemented the changes we discussed last night as well as the
> > suggestions from Aaron about the order of things in the story. I think
> > it's
> > better ;-)
> >
> > https://notes.kde.org/p/BalooArticle
>
> Excellent stuff. It's great to see a consensus reached on this - thanks \
> to all involved.
>
> I've made some minor edits. There's one edit I've hesitated to make and \
> want to discuss here. The present article does not mention Nepomuk at \
> all, but it is well known (to some of our users, at least). I think, if I \
> read it without prior knowledge of the process I'd be thinking - so, is \
> this Nepomuk or some entirely new thing? - it's a little confusing to me. \
> I also think it is quite natural to refer to the *research project* by \
> name.
> I suggest that we mention Nepomuk once, probably in the first line under \
> the 'making desktop search usable' heading:
>
> "developed in a European Union funded research project"
> would become
> "developed in a European Union funded research project (NEPOMUK)".
>
> You guys have discussed this in person (and, I'm sure, at length) so if \
> you don't want to go with that I've no problem :-) Just my opinion, \
> coming to it externally. We did push the technology (Nepomuk) so the name \
> exists. For the new tech, Baloo, I think it's right to keep it in the \
> background as is done in the article. The name of the tech (or detail of \
> its implementation) isn't/should not be really important to a user.

Tough one. As Ivan already said, the sentence is very good, as the Nepomuk
name easily confuses the research project with the KDE implementation. But \
at  the same time, you DO have a good point - linking at least a bit with \
Nepomuk  might make sense. Lemme think about it a bit (and if others have \
feedback and  thoughts, please share them!)

> Otherwise, great article :-)

Thanks!