List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE - The joke's gone on for far too long.
From:       George Mitchell <ghmitch () neteze ! com>
Date:       2001-02-12 17:25:12

Unfortunately, I have to mostly agree with the other posters here.  I see no
real advantage in terms of GUI in the way Apple does things with the Mac.
There is a start button somewhere simply because one has to start somewhere.
The only possible improvement that I can imagine, is to use a four button mouse
and assign the thumb button to bring up the start menu anywhere on the screen.
But I'm really not sure how much added functionality that would provide.  At
this point my major frustration is the fact that the add on taskbar is still
not stable and fully functional as of beta 2.  I would really like to return to
the point that it self hides and all of that.  If that and the device perm bugs
get fixed, I will be quite happy.  As for 'cutting edge' GUI innovation, I am
surprised that you didn't mention Eazel.  You can get Eazel for Linux, and have
the latest GUI design from the original Mac team and it will cost you a whole
lot less than a Mac  (and no, Eazel and Gnome are not the same thing). And none
of us will fault you for it because choice is what Linux is all about.  But, I
personally like a functional desktop in the traditional sense and KDE more than
fills that need.

George Mitchell
ghmitch@neteze.com