List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE Application Server, new project
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1999-06-12 12:29:52

Hello,

We (Gabor Szentivanyi and me, Bavo De Ridder) have worked out a proposition for
an new project. In the last week we compiled an introduction white paper for a
KDE application server. It can be found at the following URL:

http://dutiem.twi.tudelft.nl/projects/visions/kappsrv-wp.html

Please have a look at this white paper. I will be more than happy to answer any
questions regarding the project on this list (kde-devel).

SHORT INTRODUCTION
=================

An application server is an abstract concept for a container in which server
components van reside. A koffice document can be represented by an IDL model
composed of server components. In the last few months OMG has developed a
component model specification (CCM, Corba Component Model). You can find the
full specification on the OMG site.

An application container also, transparantly offers services to the server
components: transaction management, session management, naming services, ...
Server component developers can concentrate on the business functionality
instead of basic services.

The use of an application server will sometimes obsolete the use of a database
middleware layer. Instead of developing a database interface for kaddressbook,
we now transform the addressbook into a server component. The component can be
made persistent by the application server using generic object oriented storage
engines (more on this in the white paper). Now concurrent access, transactions,
... are automatically supported by the addressbook.

These extra services (transactions, ...) are shared by all server components so
no code duplication.