List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1999-04-08 11:29:31

On Thu, 08 Apr 1999, uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
>

>> As a complete idiot (In the village where I live, I am indeed the
>> village idiot), I don't understand CORBA and probably won't for a long
>> while.
>>
>> Some people have asked me whether my mail client (Empath) will support
>> CORBA.
>>
>> Thing is, I don't know what CORBA would be useful for.
>>
>> I know you can embed bits of your app in other apps. Great, but do you
>> really want to read your mail from konqueror or use the mail client's
>> compose widget in KWord ? And do you want to see mail notifications in
>> KWord's statusbar ?

I can think of a much more powerful way of using CORBA in your apps. Embedding
someone else his/her widget (KDE Komponent) is one way of using CORBA. What if
your applications exposes a common object model, using CORBA ?

Or for KMail:

KMail
  GUI
    MainWindow
      Menu
      FolderList
      FolderContentList
      MessageDetail
  Data
    Account(s)
    Folder
      Message

then anyone could write extentions to KMail, or write the glue between KMail
and some other applications.

This is the way Microsoft is currently using COM in Office. Office 2000 will
expose an object model (each single application). This gives you the
opportunity to make an Excel spreadsheet in every language with a COM binding.

In Offce/Access/VB magazine there is an article how someone extends Outlook
2000 so he can couple his own contact database in outlook with the one he has
in Access. Or you can make Outlook 2000 use the one in access with some VB
code...

Isn't that something to think about.

BDR