List:       kde-devel
Subject:    CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-04-08 1:51:00

As a complete idiot (In the village where I live, I am indeed the
village idiot), I don't understand CORBA and probably won't for a long
while.

Some people have asked me whether my mail client (Empath) will support
CORBA.

Thing is, I don't know what CORBA would be useful for.

I know you can embed bits of your app in other apps. Great, but do you
really want to read your mail from konqueror or use the mail client's
compose widget in KWord ? And do you want to see mail notifications in
KWord's statusbar ?

Wouldn't it be more likely that people would want to open their mail
client to read and send mail ? I suppose it would be nice if KWord could
have a 'send to' option, but wouldn't this be better done by performing
some simple header creation and passing to sendmail ?

Actually, I can see that KWord doesn't have your email/reply-to
addresses, and doesn't know your (supposedly system-wide) settings for
sending mail etc, but these could be gleaned from the Empath's rc file.

Could someone please give me a brief rundown on what CORBA would mean
for my client, what I should be thinking about doing and who I should be
designing so that life is made easier when I come to having to do this.

TIA
Rik

--
http://without.netpedia.net