List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need help with KAuth
From:       "27/249" <i27249 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-23 22:26:49

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Dario Freddi <drf54321@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2010 20:34:56 27/249 wrote:
>> After a month, I finally found the issue and solved problems, so I
>> think you should know details and clarify it in some howto.
>
> That's good news. Feel free (you or some good volunteer) to add a page to
> {Tech,User}Base: there are plently of useful info around b.k.o and my blog,
> more than in this thread.
In this key, I would like to create (or modify) a page which describes
not only polkit issues, but complete dependency tree. If you already
have one, please point me onto it, I did't found.

>> First of all: ConsoleKit is required, not optional. Without this stuff
>> - nothing works.
>
> Yes. But it's a requirement for polkit itself, and not KAuth. However, you can
> still bypass ConsoleKit by changing the system policies for "All consoles",
> which default to "no".
>
> It's not like polkit does not work without consolekit: it's just that by
> default you're not authorized at all to do anything. So it definitely appears
> like it's not working, but you're simply unauthorized.
Seems to be so, but there is no configuration GUI for polkit-1 (like
it was for old policykit). Another strange thing was that I got
segfault, not "not authorized" while accessing kcmclock, but may be it
was related to wrong paths.

>> Second place: I had built polkit-1 with wrong paths, there should be
>> --libexecdir=/usr/lib/polkit-1
>
> This is totally unrelated to KDE, and should not affect at all KAuth. I think
> it should definitely work without that specific libexec dir (in fact on my
> system it's even different).
I think it simply should be in sync between all components - in
another words, all communicating components should expect same path.
For my system it was /usr/lib/polkit-1, for another system it can be
another. The main trouble was that there is almost no documentation of
how to build polkit and it's dependencies from scratch, so I had to do
"try random and see if it works" :)

>> After that, I rebuilt whole KDE, and at least pkexec started working,
>> and KAuth-enabled stuff appears to show that it can work, but it still
>> didn't work. As I found little later, it was because in slackware
>> default config dir for KDE is /etc/kde, not /etc, so dbus stuff was
>> placed in wrong place. When I finally move this to right place,
>> everything works fine.
>
> Good news. Please, be also aware that the stuff that goes in /etc is related
> to DBus and not KDE, so if you don't like to move files manually you can:
>
>  - Add a configuration file to dbus telling it to look somewhere else for the
> config files
>  - Change the installation path of the DBus system policies in KDE buildsystem
> to put them in the correct directory. Have a look into
> kdelibs/cmake/modules/KDE4Macros.cmake, macro kde4_auth_install_helper_files
>
> If I were you I'd definitely go for the second.
I decided to change -DSYSCONF_INSTALL_DIR in kde cmake options (it was
/etc/kde, i changed to /etc) and rebuild everything. So I think I'm
going the right way :)

Thanks for comments and help!

--
Best regards, AiX 27/249 <i27249@gmail.com>