List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need help with KAuth
From:       Dario Freddi <drf54321 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-23 19:55:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 20:34:56 27/249 wrote:
> After a month, I finally found the issue and solved problems, so I
> think you should know details and clarify it in some howto.

That's good news. Feel free (you or some good volunteer) to add a page to
{Tech,User}Base: there are plently of useful info around b.k.o and my blog,
more than in this thread.

> First of all: ConsoleKit is required, not optional. Without this stuff
> - nothing works.

Yes. But it's a requirement for polkit itself, and not KAuth. However, you can
still bypass ConsoleKit by changing the system policies for "All consoles",
which default to "no".

It's not like polkit does not work without consolekit: it's just that by
default you're not authorized at all to do anything. So it definitely appears
like it's not working, but you're simply unauthorized.

> Second place: I had built polkit-1 with wrong paths, there should be
> --libexecdir=/usr/lib/polkit-1

This is totally unrelated to KDE, and should not affect at all KAuth. I think
it should definitely work without that specific libexec dir (in fact on my
system it's even different).

> After that, I rebuilt whole KDE, and at least pkexec started working,
> and KAuth-enabled stuff appears to show that it can work, but it still
> didn't work. As I found little later, it was because in slackware
> default config dir for KDE is /etc/kde, not /etc, so dbus stuff was
> placed in wrong place. When I finally move this to right place,
> everything works fine.

Good news. Please, be also aware that the stuff that goes in /etc is related
to DBus and not KDE, so if you don't like to move files manually you can:

 - Add a configuration file to dbus telling it to look somewhere else for the
config files
 - Change the installation path of the DBus system policies in KDE buildsystem
to put them in the correct directory. Have a look into
kdelibs/cmake/modules/KDE4Macros.cmake, macro kde4_auth_install_helper_files

If I were you I'd definitely go for the second.