List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] A mockup of Konqueror
From:       Luciano Montanaro <luciano.montanaro () consulenti ! fastweb ! it>
Date:       2006-03-14 18:22:32

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 19:06, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 17:30, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > I very much like the idea of hidden menus but I'd add one menu button
> > near the "menu" for bookmarks. Bookmarks are useful in file manager
> > too. And I'd prefer different bookmarks for file and web browsers.
>
> Actually, hiding the menubar is a pretty bad move: it makes the
> application almost inpenetrable for beginners and doesn't save anything
> for
> intermediates. (According to Alan Cooper, who's About Face I'm reading
> now.)

Indeed, the menubar is for actions used rarely enough that they don't need a
fast shortcut... but making the option yet another level away seems too
much for my taste. It's true that my menubar lies away in a kicker panel
anyway.

Moreover, technically, the feature needs special support in kde/qt libraries
and the window manager. While we may convince the KWin maintainer that's a
feature worth supporting (Hi Lubos!), it will be hard to convince other
window manager developers to do the same.

> > > http protocol the "up" button disappear
> >
> > no, please not!
>
> Indeed, the up button may irritate a lot of website owners, but it's an
> essential weapon in the arsenal of the savvy website user.

Again, I concur. "Up" may not be an action mainstream sites care about
nowadays (then again, most don't care about html either), but I find myself
using it quite often.

Luciano