List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] An accessible Qt? I think not.
From:       Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev () moonset ! net>
Date:       2005-11-16 19:53:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

The Firefox 1.5 UI has to support MSAA perfectly to work with Windows
AT's as the widgets are all windowless.  Because of work we did with AT
vendors to support Firefox, MSAA is now a fine way to expose UI's to
assistive tech. It's really in content where it falls short.
On the other hand, UI Automation could be the future but it's very far
away in terms of support from AT vendors.

If you follow some guidelines for MSAA support you'll be fine. The MSDN
docs will get you partially there, and I've attempted to document the
rest of what's needed in Implementing an MSAA Server, A Practical Guide
<http://www.mozilla.org/access/windows/msaa-server> and Accessible
Toolkit Checklist <http://www.mozilla.org/access/toolkit-checklist>
It may also be interesting to read: Gecko Info for Windows Accessibility
Vendors <http://www.mozilla.org/access/windows/at-apis>

Microsoft, Freedom Sci and GW Micro even use these docs as examples of
how to deal with MSAA issues. You can look at it with MSAA tools to see
how to expose each type of widget or read the docs from above.

- Aaron