List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Build Directory in Configure Files
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1998-09-02 2:32:11

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> >     ./configure --with-install-root /var/tmp/kdf
>
> Try:
>
> ./configure --with-install-root=/var/tmp/kdf

Thanks for the hint.  That got me past the break point  :-).
Unfortunately, while the Makefiles generated by configure have the
install_dir variable set properly, they don't make use of it at all
:-(.   I tried several KDE packages on this (I note that the based KDE
packages do properly implement the option).

> Actually, I'm not sure why you are using 'install-root' at all.  I've
> compiled KDE on many platforms in many directories (root and non-root)
> and have never used that option.

It's quite useful to see exactly what is to be installed and where.  It's
also useful so you can build things (esp. alpha software) w/out being
root if the install directories (like /opt/kde/bin) have restricted
access.  One thing I really like about *nix is the protection offered by
having restricted access (although one could go much further w/
permissions); on the other hand, I don't want a trusted login (e.g.,
root) to own things until I have closely checked them out.  Thus, I like
to build packages for the first time as a user who has no 'write' rights
except to /var/tmp (and, of course, /tmp).

Regards,

Andreas F. Pour
MieTerra LLC
pour@mieterra.com