List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE does not run with bash 2.02.1... HELP?
From:       David Eisner <cradle () Glue ! umd ! edu>
Date:       1998-08-26 14:09:18

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Charles R. Hurley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last night I installed bash 2.02.1 onto my Red Hat 5.1 (2.0.35) system.  I
> upgraded from bash 1.14.7.  Upon rebooting and trying to log into the kde
> session, I was bounced back to the kdm login window.  When I reinstall
> bash 1.14.7, I was able to login.

I had this problem.  Basically, after around bash 2.0, bash reads the
startup files (.profile, etc.) differently.  See the INVOCATION section
of the man page.

For me, this meant KDEDIR and the PATH were no longer getting set
correctly.

Depending on how your system is set up, there may be a file in
your home directory called .xdm-errors or xdm-errors that will give
you a better idea of what's going on (assuming you're using xdm).

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle@eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |