List:       kde
Subject:    RE: Wrong Charset Messages - Quick Fix -Fixed
From:       John Horne <J.Horne () plymouth ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-08-26 11:16:12

On 25-Aug-98 at 14:50:25 John Horne wrote:
> On 24-Aug-98 at 20:02:14 Martin P Holland wrote:
>> In case anyone else was still having problems with this...
>>
>> The fix works for me now (up to now) once I set all three of my language
>> settings to the same thing (for me en_UK).
>>
>> Looking in my locale folder I notice that there isn't a folder for en_US
>> which is presumably the default so perhaps this is where the problem
>> came from?
>
> I'll check out the en_US bit, and see what I set my KDE default language
> as...

(Apologies for mailing this to the list, but I lost the original posters
address). I checked my system last night and found:
1)  everything in the path /opt/kde/share/locale/en_UK is owned by root:root
      and has permissions 755
2)  there is no en_US directory (nor any C directory either)
3)  my KDE language settings are first en_UK, then en (US), and then C
4)  the file 'charset' in /opt/kde/share/locale/en_UK is owned by root:root
      and has permissions 644. It only contains 'iso-8859-1'

I also noticed that whilst there where a lot of the language sub-directories
in /opt/kde/share/locale, they didn't all seem to be there (see above), and
only some of them contained a 'charset' file.

John.

John Horne                                     E-mail: J.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk
Academic and Information Services              Phone :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233911
University of Plymouth, UK                     Fax   :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233919