List:       kde
Subject:    RE: Wrong Charset Messages - Quick Fix -Fixed
From:       John Horne <J.Horne () plymouth ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-08-25 14:50:25

On 24-Aug-98 at 20:02:14 Martin P Holland wrote:
> In case anyone else was still having problems with this...
>
> The fix works for me now (up to now) once I set all three of my language
> settings to the same thing (for me en_UK).
>
> Looking in my locale folder I notice that there isn't a folder for en_US
> which is presumably the default so perhaps this is where the problem
> came from?

Hmm...well the fix worked great for me :-) I don't think the en_US folder
comes in to it unless you specified that as your default language. As far as
I remember I set my default to en_UK. Then, as stated, I created the charset
file, etc, etc. I don't see the messages any more.

I'm using RH5.1 (kernel 2.0.35/2.1.117), KDE1.0 (prebuilt rpm's). I also boot
directly to init level 5 (X window), but the /var/log/xdm-errors.log file
showed the original problem. I'll check out the en_US bit, and see what I set
my KDE default language as - sorry, but I'm doing this at work (on Sun
Solaris) and my linux system is at home. One thought, and I haven't a clue if
it is relevant, is that I rebuilt the kernel with the iso-8859-1, code page
437, and 850 directly in it. I included only code page 852 (I think) as a
module. I'm not sure how straight RH5.1 comes with respect to the languages
being modules or not. I'm not even sure if it's got anything to do with it...

John (also in the UK :-) )

John Horne                                     E-mail: J.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk
Academic and Information Services              Phone :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233911
University of Plymouth, UK                     Fax   :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233919