List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Automatic releases
From:       Reinhard Poetz <reinhard () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-05-29 8:24:44

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 25 May 2006 04:06, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>But basically you're right that we have to clarify the situation in
>>general. How shall we proceed to get an answer to the question of
>>"unofficial" artifact releases? Is the pmc@cocoon in the position to decide
>>such things itself our do we have to discuss this issue with board@apache?
>>WDOT?
>

> "Automatic releases" are not a possibility, for two main reasons;
>
>  1. Resources ; Someone pointed out how many artifacts would be created (and
> in fact Maven will generate a bunch more, such
> as .pom, .sha1, .md5, .pom.md5, .pom.sha1. Someone else suggested that these
> would only exist until the next release. That is also not an option. Maven
> relies on the fact that any build will work 'forever', as old artifacts does
> not disappear.
>

>  2. Legal ; ALL releases from ASF MUST be under the oversight of the
> responsible PMC. That means active insight and control of what is put into
> the release, and vouching legally that this is a non-malicious artifact
> suitable for consumption under a set of constraints. "Automatic releases"
> bypasses such legal responsibility, and will be found unacceptable by the
> Board and legal counsel.
>

> The obvious solution to the "problem" is smaller components with independent
> release cycles, but we know that since *years*...

As I pointed out in my answer to Giacomo's mail: Also if we finally enter into a
more frequent release cycle, let's say a release every two monthts, it could be
too long.

                                       - o -

Let's discuss which options we have - but first look at the problem again:

What I (and obviously others) want is the possibility to use a not released
version of an artifact in our own projects. Having a "-SNAPSHOT"-dependency is
not an option for several reasons (snapshots are changing, you can't release
your own artifacts if you depend on snapshots).

So what are the possible solutions:

a) Everybody learns to run the release plugin and produces artifacts himself and
can deploy them to his own repositories. Question (to Jorg): Is this possible at
all (IIUC the release plugin automatically tags your release in SVN)? And if
yes, how difficult is it?

b) Find an automated way (note: I don't write "automatic release") to produce
unoffical artifacts like "cocoon-core-2.2-r434343-NIGHTLY-BUILD.jar".

WDOT?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc