List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Automatic releases
From:       Reinhard Poetz <reinhard () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-05-29 8:15:25

Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2006, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:46:29 +0200
>> From: Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org>
>> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
>> Subject: Automatic releases
>>

>> Is there any possibility to provide automatic *unofficial* releases of
>> our artifacts? I'm asking because for me (and I think for others too)
>> it's an important requirement that only non-SNAPSHOT artifacts are
>> used in my POMs. That's the only way to guarantee that a POM working
>> today will still work tommorrow or in two years.
>>
>> What I'm thinking of is using Continiuum to automatically release our
>> artifacts once every one or two weeks. Any chance to get this done or
>> in other words, does M2 support this?
>

> The release plugin is probably what you are looking for. It
> automatically updates the pom.xml to a releasable version string (no
> SNAPSHOT suffix), produces a tagged version in SVN and sets the version
> string of the pom to the next dvelopment version (scm connection must be
> setup correctly in the pom). The 'problem' I've faced so far is that the
> plugin won't make a release if your pom depends on SNAPSHOT versions
> (which obviously is a good ting).
>
> Why do I call it a 'problem'? I've alreday migrated some 2..1x apps to
> 2.2 but I cannot release them as they depend on cocoon SNAPSHOT releases
> ;-)

yes, that's exactly the point. We need to find a solution to make it possible to
use (and rely on) the latest Cocoon modules. We also need this if we (hopefully)
enter into a more frequent release cycle (e.g. every two months) because
sometimes I would "risk" it to use a newer version than an officially released one.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc