List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Automatic releases
From:       Niclas Hedhman <niclas () hedhman ! org>
Date:       2006-05-29 10:25:19

On Monday 29 May 2006 16:24, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Having a "-SNAPSHOT"-dependency is not an option for several reasons
> (snapshots are changing, you can't release your own artifacts if you depend
> on snapshots).

I agree myself that this is a common "problem".

> So what are the possible solutions:
>
> a) Everybody learns to run the release plugin and produces artifacts
> himself and can deploy them to his own repositories. Question (to Jorg): Is
> this possible at all (IIUC the release plugin automatically tags your
> release in SVN)? And if yes, how difficult is it?

I have also noticed (for instance for artifacts I need from Felix) that
release:prepare will fail, unless you have commit access to the SVN.

> b) Find an automated way (note: I don't write "automatic release") to
> produce unoffical artifacts like
> "cocoon-core-2.2-r434343-NIGHTLY-BUILD.jar".

I am curious to know how this is different from the "changing snapshot" that
is a problem mentioned above. IIUIC, both are temporary and will disappear in
due time, so the only difference would be the name itself.

I don't have the answer how it should be dealt with. I think the closes you
can do is that the Continuum build output is copied into an area, either on
the cocoon zone or to cocoondev, which is not official and even some big
disclaimers that it is not official.

Please observe that Apache Legal@ may have some comment of this, still. I
suggest that there is a check with legal-discuss@apache.org before going down
this route.