List:       xine-user
Subject:    Re: [xine-user] why does xshm look better then Xv?
From:       Dexter Filmore <Dexter.Filmore () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-02-07 10:41:34

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2007 01:09 schrieb Mike Melanson:
> Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > I just stumbled across this:
> >
> > I use ATI fglrx 8.31 I just ran two instances of xine, so one uses the
> > fglrx-Xv-Overlay, one uses Xshm.
> >
> > What can I say, Xshm looks better. Edges smoother.
>
> Likely cause: The software algorithm that Xshm is using for rescaling
> looks better in your perception than the video card's own hardware
> scaling. Now all video hardware is created equally. What type of video
> card is it?

An ATi X800XT AGP, R420 chip - quite a board in terms of image quality, apart
from fglrx drivers being the last piece of crap on the planet (which is why I
pondered ditching the card and getting me an nvidia or even a motherboard
with intel onboard graphics, but currently that's beyond budget so I'm stuck
with this board for now.)
Guess I'll fire up a live Distro with X7.1 and see if X' own r300 module does
the job better meanwhile, tho last time it boiled down to "unusable in any
respect".

> > Next funny thing: taking screenshots with xine they look exactly the
> > same, pixel by pixel.
> >
> > Now - if the screenshots look alike, why not the live video?
>
> During playback, the xine-lib engine sends encoded data to a video
> decoder and gets a bitmap image out the other end. Then it sends that
> bitmap image to the selected video output module which is then
> responsible for scaling it. However, if a screenshot is requested, the
> engine takes the raw bitmap, without scaling, and provides it to the
> frontend for saving (or maybe it saves the file directly; I forget).

Ok, explains that.
Would you knwo how to dump the Xv content as it finally looks?

Dex

--

http://www.stop1984.com
http://www.againsttcpa.com