List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Error Message
From:       Hamish Rodda <meddie () yoyo ! cc ! monash ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-02-24 9:49:21

>I very recently puchased and installed Red Hat 7.2.  The XFree86 version
>is 3.3.6a and according to the output from uname -a the kernel version is
>2.4.7-10 #1.
>    I invariably receive this error message with startx:
>
>    Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".
>
>Can anyone tell me the origin of this message and what needs to be done
>to correct it.  The documentation with 7.2 is utterly useless.  Also what
>and why is "RENDER"?

Render is a new graphics rendering api for X, supported on XFree86 versions
4.0 and above. With KDE/Qt the major difference is the ability to have
antialiased text (which is very nice); otherwise you're not missing out on
very much else, for the time being.

You can:
1) Upgrade XFree86 to version 4 or above, 4.2 is the current version (at least
4.1 is recommended I believe). Check the Redhat website for updates.

or:
2) Ignore the error message.

Cheers,

Hamish