List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Error Message
From:       Pär Aronsson <par.aronsson () nohup ! se>
Date:       2002-02-26 10:07:50

The render extension will do something called anti aliasing of special
fonts, for example TrueType fonts. When configured right the fonts will
be much more readable than fonts without anti aliasing. A few TrueType
fonts are free and downloadable from Microsoft.

IIRC the render extension was introduced with XFree86 4.0.1. There are a
whole set of requirements for this to work. I'll mention a few, but you
will have to search the net for a complete howto.

1. XFree86 > 4.0.1
2. Freetype module loaded, i.e Load "freetype" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
3. A graphics card that support render, e.g nvidia.
4. Support also in the driver for the graphics card.
5. TrueType fonts in a FontPath,
e.g. FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
6. You have created fonts.dir and fonts.scale in that dir.
7. Applications compiled with render support, e.g recent versions of
konqueror with recent versions of qt.

It requires a bit of work, but once you have it running it improves
readability to a great extent. I run suse 7.3 with xf86 4.2 and the
fonts are just incredibly pretty/readable.

RedHat 7.2 ships with XFree86 4.1 and XFree86 3.3.6, make sure you run
the later version by pointing the symlink /etc/X11/X to
../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 and nothing else.

Good luck ;) // Pär A