List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts]Fcpackage release candidate 1
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2002-08-01 16:02:49

Around 8 o'clock on Aug 1, Bradley T Hughes wrote:

> First, the /usr/bin/install included with FreeBSD doesn't like the install
> rules for fontconfig.
>
> Second, the default fonts.conf files is installed into the chosen prefix,
> but /etc/fonts/fonts.conf is hard coded into the sources,

Thanks for finding these.  They're fixed in CVS.

> I'm also currently working on getting Xft2 support into QT for our 3.1.0
> release this fall, and I was under the impression that the qt3.diff that's
> been floating around was working.

It was nearly working except for some minor clipping update problems that
affect konsole.  I haven't taken time to get KDE3 running here and so
haven't been able to reproduce or fix this issue.

> I have found lots of problems with it, one of them being that with Xft1,
> RENDER support is completely disabled. The patch doesn't build against Xft1
> either, due to missing XftDrawPicture and XftDrawCreateAlpha functions in
> Xft1

I intended to remove any presumption that the patch could compile against
Xft1; with the release of Xft2 and fontconfig, there's no urgent need to
support the older library and attempting to make the code cross compatible
between two versions of Xft is probably only asking for trouble.  I've
also not updated Qt3 in a few weeks making the patch somewhat stale at
this point.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab