List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts]Fcpackage release candidate 1
From:       Bradley T Hughes <bhughes () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-08-01 6:07:16

On Sunday 28 July 2002 13:16, Keith Packard wrote:
> Under pressure from actual users, I'm trying to get the combination of
> fontconfig and both versions of Xft ready for a release.
>
> I've backed out some tentative changes aimed at providing localized font
> names for applications; that will have to wait for a future release.
> I'm confident we can add this without breaking any existing interfaces,
> although it will require applications make a special call to locate the
> local names; I suspect far too many assume ASCII font names and aren't
> ready for UTF-8 yet.
>
> However, I did manage to completely rewrite the ~/.fonts.cache logic to
> eliminate per-file syscalls when the cache file is up-to-date.  Really,
> it's much better now, and the API didn't change at all.
>
> Release candidate 1 has been tagged in the XFree86 CVS repository and
> packaged for your pleasure, please find it at:
>
> 	http://keithp.com/fonts/pub/fcpackage.rc1.tar.gz
>
> I intend to stabilize and ship this version in short order; I'm
> interested in hearing about problems and concerns, but functional
> enhancements will await a new version.

I downloaded and tried to install yesterday, and I hit a few problems.
First, the /usr/bin/install included with FreeBSD doesn't like the install
rules for fontconfig.

	$(INSTALL) $< $(DESTDIR)

should be:

	$(INSTALL) $< $(DESTDIR)/$<

Second, the default fonts.conf files is installed into the chosen prefix,
but /etc/fonts/fonts.conf is hard coded into the sources, causing fc-list
and fc-cache to complain that it can't find the default config file.

I'm also currently working on getting Xft2 support into QT for our 3.1.0
release this fall, and I was under the impression that the qt3.diff that's
been floating around was working.  I have found lots of problems with it,
one of them being that with Xft1, RENDER support is completely disabled.
The patch doesn't build against Xft1 either, due to missing XftDrawPicture
and XftDrawCreateAlpha functions in Xft1.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway