List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts]Fcpackage release candidate 1
From:       Bradley T Hughes <bhughes () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-08-01 16:38:08

On Thursday 01 August 2002 18:02, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 8 o'clock on Aug 1, Bradley T Hughes wrote:
> > First, the /usr/bin/install included with FreeBSD doesn't like the
> > install rules for fontconfig.
> >
> > Second, the default fonts.conf files is installed into the chosen
> > prefix, but /etc/fonts/fonts.conf is hard coded into the sources,
>
> Thanks for finding these.  They're fixed in CVS.

Not a problem, thanks for fixing them :)

> > I'm also currently working on getting Xft2 support into QT for our
> > 3.1.0 release this fall, and I was under the impression that the
> > qt3.diff that's been floating around was working.
>
> It was nearly working except for some minor clipping update problems
> that affect konsole.  I haven't taken time to get KDE3 running here and
> so haven't been able to reproduce or fix this issue.

I ended up using your patch as a template, but most of the changes you had
made to qpainter_x11.cpp I discarded, because we stopped using XRegions
and are now using our own Regions with 32bit coordinates.  Why are we
doing that you ask? Because we need a larger coordinate system when doing
large transformations.  As such, we can't use the XftDrawSetClip function,
and there isn't a XftDrawSetClipRectangles function.

I have kept the code in qpainter_x11.cpp as is, using XRender* calls
directly.  Clipping and such things are working now, so why break them,
right? :)

> > I have found lots of problems with it, one of them being that with
> > Xft1, RENDER support is completely disabled. The patch doesn't build
> > against Xft1 either, due to missing XftDrawPicture and
> > XftDrawCreateAlpha functions in Xft1
>
> I intended to remove any presumption that the patch could compile
> against Xft1; with the release of Xft2 and fontconfig, there's no urgent
> need to support the older library and attempting to make the code cross
> compatible between two versions of Xft is probably only asking for
> trouble.  I've also not updated Qt3 in a few weeks making the patch
> somewhat stale at this point.

Unfortunately for us, this is not an option.  Some people simply do not
upgrade their XFree86 installation if they can avoid it.  I have managed
to make both Xft1 and Xft2 work though, with a bit of fudgery :)

Thanks again for the patch.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway