List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: WINE, PS Driver, Fonts and Bitstream
From:       Huw D M Davies <h.davies1 () physics ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-12-23 18:05:49

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 12:07:37PM -0500, Gavriel State wrote:
> Huw D M Davies wrote:
> > Just to clarify something here.  We're talking about the Engine*
> > functions is graphics/fontengine.c and the functions from about
> > GetCharABCWidths down in object/font.c ?
>
> Pretty much.  As I said, I don't really understand why many of these
> functions have no equivalent in the DDK Engine* API.  When writing
> PS, the MS driver *must* be getting at the TTF data in some more
> direct way.  It would be nice to figure out what it's actually
> doing and ensure that we can emulate whatever APIs it's using.

The win98 driver uses EngineRealizeFontExt and friends (thanks to everyone who
pointed out that this is now doc'ed on the msdn website - it wasn't when I last
looked honest ;-) )

> > The Engine* functions are all 16bit, is there a better set to
> > implement in WinNT and have the Engine* functions call these ?
>
> Well, they seem to have put a fair bit of design work into the
> Win2k printer driver architecture.  Check out:
> http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/ddkdocs/win2K/ddifncs_8gmf.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/ddkdocs/win2K/ddifncs_6vjb.htm
> etc.
>
> Some of this seems to be a further development of the NT 4
> work:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ddkdoc/ntddk/native/ddk/gg/src/grfncs_1.htm#
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ddkdoc/ntddk/native/ddk/gg/src/grfncs_103.htm#

Thanks I'll take a look.  It may make more sense to use these as our base and
write the Engine* functions on top of these.

Huw.
--
   Dr. Huw D M Davies              | Clarendon Laboratory
   h.davies1@physics.ox.ac.uk      | Parks Road