List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] Maybe Validix or ValiTux as new name for UserLinux?
From:       Michael Compton <mcompton1973 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-12-21 10:03:24

I dont remember if it was in the white paper or somewhere else but very early on \
Bruce said that anything gnu in the name would prob be frowned upon since this is not \
an official FSF project.
Whether there is something wrong with UserLinux is the whoel question.  At last look \
aprox 56% would like to change the name.  and about 1/2 (48%) think that this is a \
big deal.  that means that about 1/2 think that it is trivial though as well.
my guess is that UserLinux will be the name unless we find something that has \
stronger marketing apeal etc.  and that is why you see alot of names floating around \
right now.  Whether you want to change the name or not, Most agree that a decision on \
this needs to come together soon so that we present a strong marketing angle at an \
early stage and can build on that momentum.
later today I will post a plan to solicit names, and vote on them and hopefully have \
a decision on this before Jan 1.  That may seem like a long time, but I think that it \
is a fair amount of time to solicit enough usable names, and put it to a vote.  If \
the plan is acceptable, then we should be able to launch Jan 1 2004 with a new name, \
or a decision made to keep UserLinux.  I think that Jan 1 is a good time to launch a \
new name if we are going to change it.
more to follow

Derek Neighbors <derek@gnue.org> wrote:
On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 19:24, James J. Ramsey wrote:
> Claude Rieth came up with a name that I thought had a
> nice ring: Validux. The "-ux" suffix suggests Unix,
> and the "Valid-" part sort of implies something that
> is known good.

At this point, I don't know if reference the Unix history is of any
marketing value. The "ux" suffixing makes me think of stomach ailments
like "reflux" "redux" etc.. Possibly that is why people so often
mis-pronounce Linux. ;)

> I threw "Validix" (with an "i") at Google. Better
> results, but one Google result suggests that
> www.validix.com ought to exist. (Somebody owns the
> address?) www.validix.com is not a valid web address,
> though.

"dix" well sounds like "dicks" which.. well lets just say speaks for
itself. :)

I haven't closely followed this thread (and so am shooting blind), but
is there something inherently wrong with UserLinux? I especially liked
the concept of gnUserLinux. Where the gn was not pronounced. It gave
reference to the history of Freedom w/o being obnoxious about it.

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise

Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=dneighbo

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc
Perens LLC / 1563 Solano Ave. / PMB 349 / Berkeley CA 94707 / USA

~Michael S Compton

I have no sense of decency...
     ...this way my other senses are enhanced.