List:       textbook-l
Subject:    Re: [Textbook-l] Very general discussion of goals and methods (long
From:       Karl Wick <karlwick () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-12-27 23:14:14

Dr. Ashendel,

If you like, I will work with you to create an outline of a
Biochemistry book that can later be slowly be developed
into a set of modules that professors can compile for class
use. My scientific education stopped just before a deep
understanding of Biochem, that is, I did Ochem and a
section of Biochem as part of a lower-level Bio course,
then skimmed through a friend’s Biochem book. So I know
some of the basic terminology but not much more. But if you
provide, for example, a list of basic unavoidable topics
and the beginnings of a reproducable structure that I can
apply to each of the topics, such as:

Biochemistry: Protein folding (high school)
Biochemistry: Protein folding (pre-med)
Biochemistry: Protein folding (science majors)
Biochemistry: Protein folding (two-semester)
Biochemistry: Protein folding (one-semester)

Then I can do some of the grunt work to wikify the
structure. What I am saying is, if you have a vision of how
the book(s) could take shape and there is any way that I
can help save you time realizing it by helping with
lower-level work, just say the word.

And of course I will mention that Purdue is viewed around
here as the Harvard of the Midwest and I am honored and
excited that you have taken an interest in this project. I
hope that the site can be of service to you and to many
other biochemistry profs out there.

Karl