List:       sylpheed
Subject:    [sylpheed:21947] where's the password-prompt?
From:       Joseph Koenig <jko () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-11-15 3:47:10

Sylpheed version 0.9.5-gtk2-20030906
That's a Slackware package from linuxpackages.net.

I've configured Sylpheed to use POP3(normal) for fetching messages from
the mailserver.  I left the password field empty, hoping Sylpheed would
ask for a password.  It worked.  But when I invoked Sylpheed the next
time, clicking "Get" in order to get the new mails, Sylpheed answered:

  Authentication failed:
  -ERR Authentication failed

(BTW: Whose idea was it to make the text in these (gtk-)pop-up boxes
not-selectable?  Fscking Morons.  Never mind.)

I thought it had something to do with the authentification method. So I
switched to POP3(APOP auth).  It seemed to work: When clicking on "Get"
I was prompted for a password.  Fine.  But, next time I invoked Sylpheed
it was the same again. I'd get an error message instead of a
password-prompt.  Then it became really strange:

I'd go on "Preferences for current acount", I'd switch from POP3(APOP
auth) to POP3(normal)  and _back_ to POP3(APOP auth). Then I'd click on
"OK".  You see?  I didn't change anything.  Still, suddenly, after
clicking on "Get", Sylpheed  would finally have mercy upon me,  offering
me a password-prompt.