List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Another shabby Microsoft deception.(OT)
From:       Oskar Teran <pheonix1t () houston ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-05-18 18:37:18

James Mohr wrote:
> On Sunday 18 May 2003 16:10, Stephen Allewell wrote:
>
>>If you read the report, the Windows server wasn't an out of the
>>box install.  It had been tweaked using various registry hacks,
>>much out of the league of mom-n-pop shops.  They also used a 64K
>>file system block size, whereas, IIRC, the default for NTFS is
>>4K, just as with the ext3.
>>
>>The whole point is that what was tested wasn't representative of
>>what would be the default for a Windows server installation.  So
>>the comparison isn't valid.
>>

>>Steve
>

> A mom-n-pop shop doesn't care about kernel/registry tweaks. All they care
> about is ease of use and the "marketing" aspect of Windows being faster
> (valid or not).  Microsoft plays down the fact that there are tweaks
> involved, just that it is "faster".  If you only look at the first few pages
> of the report (which most people do anyway) you don't see anything about
> this. So for mom-n-pop, Windows is faster. It's not until you read the
> details (which mom-n-pop don't care about) that you find out the details.
> Sorry, I seriously doubt that mom-m-pop know what a block size even is, let
> alone what effect it has on the performance. The only effect it does have is
> to make them think Windows is faster. Windows "performance" is all in the
> marketing and thus better suited for the mom-n-pop shops.
>
> Really quite logical when you look at it.

well....this all depends on how you look at it.  Microsoft used a
similar approach against Novell a few years back making winNT look
faster on a network compared to a novell server.  They purposely made
windows listen for requests for novell servers, when they picked that
up, they would put the the novell requests into a loop - not a continous
loop, but a long enough time that the typical end-user would sense the
delay.  To the un-informed person.....windows seemed faster!
This was documented in the anti-trust trial.  Novell made MS aware of
this immediately...now long did MS take to fix this?  Approx. 2 years!!
  (not a coincidence!)  By then, the damage was done.....people are so
gullible!

This is the kind of bullshit I hate about microsoft...these tactics they
use!  We must do a better job of educating people and making them aware
of the truth!
To me, the performance comparison is a fraud.  It manipulates things to
look a certain way, the way MS wants it to appear.  But it's not the
truth!
I also don't like the fact the current american gov't (Bush admin) has
turned a blind eye to MS's bullshit......I guess it's easy to do that
when MS "contributes" [bribes, in my opinion] millions of dollars to the
republicans!  Last stat. I saw was around $4 million ..... so that's
what it costs to "pay off" the anti-trust case...hmmmm.