List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Another shabby Microsoft deception.(OT)
From:       Stephen <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-05-18 19:28:58

James Mohr wrote:
> A mom-n-pop shop doesn't care about kernel/registry tweaks. All they care
> about is ease of use and the "marketing" aspect of Windows being faster
> (valid or not).  Microsoft plays down the fact that there are tweaks
> involved, just that it is "faster".  If you only look at the first few pages
> of the report (which most people do anyway) you don't see anything about
> this. So for mom-n-pop, Windows is faster. It's not until you read the
> details (which mom-n-pop don't care about) that you find out the details.
> Sorry, I seriously doubt that mom-m-pop know what a block size even is, let
> alone what effect it has on the performance. The only effect it does have is
> to make them think Windows is faster. Windows "performance" is all in the
> marketing and thus better suited for the mom-n-pop shops.
>
> Really quite logical when you look at it.
>
> Regards,
>
> jimmo

It just goes to prove that perception is everything, even when
there is no substance.  Statistics can be manipulated, test
systems can be engineered to produce the desired result.  If
mom-n-pop are taken in by this, reading a couple of pages of a
dubious report, without further investigation, then they are safe
in their own ignorance, that they have a fast system that suits
their need.

I wouldn't have thought that Windows server 2003 was really aimed
at this market anyway.  So there is hope that the more
technically inclined people who are looking at this report would
at least be able to sift out the dross and look at the facts
instead of just the hype.

I would be interested to find out why the hacks that were used
are not part of the default installation, perhaps they are a bit
risky for a production setup, or more likely to hurt performance
in a real world environment!

Steve