List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Another shabby Microsoft deception.(OT)
From:       James Mohr <suse_mailing_list () jimmo ! com>
Date:       2003-05-18 18:16:08

On Sunday 18 May 2003 16:10, Stephen Allewell wrote:
> If you read the report, the Windows server wasn't an out of the
> box install.  It had been tweaked using various registry hacks,
> much out of the league of mom-n-pop shops.  They also used a 64K
> file system block size, whereas, IIRC, the default for NTFS is
> 4K, just as with the ext3.
>
> The whole point is that what was tested wasn't representative of
> what would be the default for a Windows server installation.  So
> the comparison isn't valid.
>

> Steve

A mom-n-pop shop doesn't care about kernel/registry tweaks. All they care
about is ease of use and the "marketing" aspect of Windows being faster
(valid or not).  Microsoft plays down the fact that there are tweaks
involved, just that it is "faster".  If you only look at the first few pages
of the report (which most people do anyway) you don't see anything about
this. So for mom-n-pop, Windows is faster. It's not until you read the
details (which mom-n-pop don't care about) that you find out the details.
Sorry, I seriously doubt that mom-m-pop know what a block size even is, let
alone what effect it has on the performance. The only effect it does have is
to make them think Windows is faster. Windows "performance" is all in the
marketing and thus better suited for the mom-n-pop shops.

Really quite logical when you look at it.

Regards,

jimmo
--
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your