List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Network Printing Creates Extra Blank Page at End
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-05-02 19:36:09

"Brian W. Carver" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this is a common problem, but I was surprised at how hard it's
> been to find a solution explained (simply) online.  The printer does not
> print an extra page at the end when printing from the server it is
> attached to. It only does this when printing from the client computers
> on the network.  I'll paste my /etc/printcap file and my /etc/lpd.conf
> file below as I have some idea that one of those could be modified in
> some way to prevent this.  It's a HP LaserJet 5L, by the way, and there
> are two names for it (whose settings look identical to me) but "lp"
> prints at 300dpi and "printer1" prints at 600dpi, somehow.  I typically
> just use "printer1" for everything.  Thanks for any help!
>
> /etc/printcap
> lp:\
>         :cm=lpdfilter drv=upp method=auto color=yes:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
>         :if=/usr/lib/lpdfilter/bin/if:\
>         :la@:\
>         :tr=:cl:sh:
> printer1:\
>         :cm=lpdfilter drv=upp method=auto color=yes:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer1:\
>         :lf=/var/spool/lpd/printer1/log:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/printer1/acct:\
>         :if=/usr/lib/lpdfilter/bin/if:\
>         :la@:\
>         :tr=:cl:sh:

I had the same problem for programs printing from Win4Lin.  To get
around it I have two printers defined for the same printer within
/etc/printcap with different names.  There are other config files in
/etc relating to the apsfilter functionality all begining with
apsfilterrc followed by the name defined in printcap.  You need to
have the line PRINT_RAW_SUPPRESS_FORMFEED="yes" defined for the
printer that is causing the problem.

regards

Steve