List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] ADSL: Alcatel Speedtouch
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-09 18:44:35

Grové Erasmus wrote:

> I have just had ADSL installed on my phone line, with a Alcatel Speedtouch USB
> modem.
>
> I have not yet been able to get ot to work with Suse as there don;t seem to be
> any Linux drivers (as usual).
> Have any of you got it to work ? it does not get picked upi when I boot into
> Linux.
>
> The modem version I have is for United Kingdom only, and my ISP is PIPEX.
>
> Cheers friends  :-))
>
> Grové Erasmus

I have ADSL (also PIPEX) working with 7.3.  I followed the
instructions at
http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/speedtouch/index.en.php3   I also
found a script to go in /etc/init.d that will make a connection at
boot time.  I'll post it in full as I can't find the link.

You will just need to add the appropriate links in the runlevel
directories.

For your info I've never had a moments bother with this setup.  works
great.

regards

Steve

#!/bin/sh
#
# System startup script for the ADSL driver by Benoit PAPILLAULT
# --------------------------------------------------------------
# Author: Nicolas Michon <solstiss@multimania.com>
# Version 0.2
#
#
#  Assume the alcatel firmware is /usr/local/lib/mgmt.o and the
#  Benoit's driver in /usr/local/bin (change ADSL_BIN in other
#  case). Your connection must work manually before, of course.
#
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: adsl
# Required-Start: $remote_fs usbmgr
# Required-Stop:  $remote_fs
# Default-Start:  3 5
# Default-Stop:
### END INIT INFO

# Source SuSE config
. /etc/rc.config

# Determine the base and follow a runlevel link name.
base=${0##*/}
link=${base#*[SK][0-9][0-9]}

# Force execution if not called by a runlevel directory.
test $link = $base && START_ADSL=yes
test "$START_ADSL" = yes || exit 0

ADSL_BIN=/usr/local/bin/modem_run
test -x $ADSL_BIN || exit 5

# Shell functions sourced from /etc/rc.status:
. /etc/rc.status

# First reset status of this service
rc_reset

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo "Starting ADSL connection"
        sleep 2
        $ADSL_BIN -f /usr/local/bin/mgmt.o -m
        start_daemon /usr/sbin/pppd call adsl
        rc_status -v
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Shutting down ADSL connection"
        killproc -INT /usr/sbin/pppd
        killproc -INT $ADSL_BIN
        rc_status -v
        ;;
  try-restart)
        $0 stop && $0 start
        rc_status
        ;;
  restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        rc_status
        ;;
  try-restart)
        echo -n "Reload service ADSL connection"
        $0 stop && $0 start
        rc_status
        ;;
  reload)
        exit 3
        ;;
  status)
        echo -n "Checking for ADSL connection : "

        checkproc $ADSL_BIN; rc=$?
        if test $rc = 0
        then
             echo "OK"
        else
             echo "No process"
        fi
        exit 3
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: $0
{start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac
#end