List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/pull/14
From:       Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-10-27 11:25:23

It's a member. Or so says the wiki http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:KDE_team.

> guys, YaST/zypp guys decided for mysterious reasons to prefer the PK backend
> over the zypp-backend, and subsquently YaST/zypp guys decided to drop
> kupdateapplet.

Reasons stop being "mysterious" once you ask what the reasons are.
From your explanations and the wiki content this is what I am understanding:

- One openSUSE KDE member decided to drop direct zypp support from the
update applet against the will of the rest of the team
- Nobody decided to ask him why
- Nobody else from the openSUSE KDE team decided to start maintaining
an update applet that is 99% KDE, ZYpp-agnostic, open source code with
just a few calls to the zypper and zypp-refresh commands through
wrappers.
- Given the impossibility of asking a question to one of your own
members, or maintaining a piece of open source KDE code that has kept
working without maintainership for nearly two years, you were left
with no other option but use KPackagekit/Apper as update applet.

Ignore the wiki, let's suppose Thomas is not a openSUSE KDE team
member... It still makes no sense.

I can't really believe that story!! It makes a lot more sense to think
that the openSUSE KDE Team just decided to start using PackageKit. And
if they/you want to use it for the updater, it only makes sense that
they/you also want to use it for local RPM installations.

Or, why a **one line fix** has been a "long standing bug"? Again, it
makes more sense to think that nobody has changed it during this
"long" time because it wasn't considered a bug and instead the
openSUSE KDE team actually wanted it to be handled by Apper. Or is the
team in such a need of manpower/new members?