List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
From:       Nico Kruber <nico.kruber () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-20 8:57:42

On Wednesday 19 Sep 2012 13:45:59 Rajko wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:13:27 +0200
> Nico Kruber <nico.kruber@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure if copies of all installed rpms are stored on disk, but
> > at least after the last step, the old rpm can be deleted
>
> Default is not to keep rpm files, but as I can find some in older
> installation with a lot of updates, it seems that it keeps last
> version for delta rpm process.
>
> General default can be changed, but it is:
> * not obvious how to do that,
> * not advertised as an option to save bandwidth.
> Majority of users will leave default. Even those that can profit from
> smaller downloads, like people with ISPs that sell metered connection
> with download caps.
>
> (One good thing out of this discussion is that I'll update
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installation group of articles with this)

I still don't know exactly, how this delta rpm process works.

1) are copies of the installed rpms kept on disk so that a delta-rpm can apply
its changes on it? or
2) do the delta rpms apply changes directly to the files on disk? or
3) are the rpms re-assembled from the files on disk if their metadata still
matches, e.g. hash sums? and if not, is the rpm loaded instead of the delta
rpm?

Nico