List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Re: [opensuse] Upgrading KDE4.1
From:       Peter Linnell <mrdocs () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2010-09-24 9:20:59

On 9/23/10 4:45 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/09/23 14:34 (GMT) Mark Misulich composed:
>
>> Mark Misulich wrote:
>
>>> I have both KDE 3 and KDE 4 kde desktop environments installed on my
>>> computer.  How may I update only the kde 4 desktop to the kde 4.5
>>> factory release without also updating the kde 3.5 desktop to kde 4.5?
>
>>> I am using Opensuse 11.1 operating system.
>
>> thanks for the answers to this question that I received.
>> Unfortunately it didn't work very well, my operating system is hosed
>> from the attempt to upgrade the kde 4.x with zypper and I will have to
>> reinstall the operating system to fix it.
>
>> I want to try to install the 4.5 operating system instead of the
>> default 4.1 that comes with suse 11.1 on the next go.  Hopefully that
>> will prevent the problems that I experienced this time.  Is there a
>> means to do this with openSuse on the 11.1 system?
>
> You can use the procedure to install KDE3 instead of KDE4, and substitute
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.1/ for
> the KDE3 repo.
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3
> http://omgsuse.com/content/kickin-it-old-school-kde3
>
> Since you're planning to reinstall, I recommend 11.2 instead, since 11.1
> doesn't have much support life left, but is much more like 11.1 than 11.3 is,
> with less beta software in the base OS.

Hi,

I am not so sure I would not go to 11.3, now that most major
post-release bugs are fixed.

I have done several installs of 11.3 on desktops, workstations and
servers none have had any kind of serious bugs, excepting the USB sleep
bug affecting USB keyboards - now fixed in the kernel update.

Cheers,
Peter