List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [opensuse-kde] Re: [opensuse] Upgrading KDE4.1
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2010-09-23 14:45:37

On 2010/09/23 14:34 (GMT) Mark Misulich composed:

> Mark Misulich wrote:

>> I have both KDE 3 and KDE 4 kde desktop environments installed on my
>> computer.  How may I update only the kde 4 desktop to the kde 4.5
>> factory release without also updating the kde 3.5 desktop to kde 4.5?

>> I am using Opensuse 11.1 operating system.

> thanks for the answers to this question that I received.
> Unfortunately it didn't work very well, my operating system is hosed
> from the attempt to upgrade the kde 4.x with zypper and I will have to
> reinstall the operating system to fix it.

> I want to try to install the 4.5 operating system instead of the
> default 4.1 that comes with suse 11.1 on the next go.  Hopefully that
> will prevent the problems that I experienced this time.  Is there a
> means to do this with openSuse on the 11.1 system?

You can use the procedure to install KDE3 instead of KDE4, and substitute
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.1/ for
the KDE3 repo.

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3
http://omgsuse.com/content/kickin-it-old-school-kde3

Since you're planning to reinstall, I recommend 11.2 instead, since 11.1
doesn't have much support life left, but is much more like 11.1 than 11.3 is,
with less beta software in the base OS.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/