List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.1 on 8.1, yet again
From:       Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer () home ! nl>
Date:       2003-02-06 19:45:24

On Thursday 06 February 2003 14:56, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:
> On Thursday 06 February 2003 03:59, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > > Synaptic returned:
> > > "Error: sub-process /bin/rpm returned an
> > > error code (5)"
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Synaptic came back with
> > > "Error: sub-process /bin/rpm returned an
> > > error code (31)"
> >
> > Uuhhm... You did run synaptic as root, did you?
> >
> > :-}
>
> Yup.  Sometimes starting it from a terminal, using sux -
> Once from a gnome session, logged in as root (yes,
> I was getting desperate  :-)

I think you should focus on fixing the rpm-database. Use only the repositories
with SuSE's "official" files. I guess that would be base, kde, sax2,
security, and update (base would be enough after a fresh install of 8.1).

I usually do:

  # apt-get update
  # apt-get -s upgrade

first. "update" will get the package lists from the server, "-s upgrade" will
simulate an upgrade. If I'm satisfied with the "simulation", I do:

  # apt-get upgrade
  # SuSEconfig

Once I had a broken rpm-database too. I've forgotten what I did, but I think I
removed the offending packages and started without them.

If your rpm-database is well, and apt-get shows no errors, you can add more
repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list (be carefull, e.g. with ximian! -
rtfm).

Cheers,

Leen