List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.1 on 8.1, yet again
From:       Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan () chrysalis-its ! com>
Date:       2003-02-05 17:11:15

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 15:44, Richard Bos
wrote:
[...]
> It is not, it will only update about ~20 pkgs.
> As stated on the "howto" page you should remove
> the component base among many other
> (suse-people e.g) components.
> http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q27

Well, my thinking was probably wrong... (gosh,
that *never* happens...  :-).
I thought that:

a) I might as well get the large number of items
    updated all at once (not just KDE), so that
    any dependencies or conflicts among them would
    be resolved simultaneously (for the bulk of
    the update/upgrade, that seems to have been
    the case)

b) If I asked for KDE3.1 at the same time, it
    would either get sorted out with respect to
    all the other packages (non-kde stuff), or
    would indicate which old, installed stuff that
    I should mark for removal, so that KDE3.1
    would go in smoothly.

Of course, I was wrong, but I have not understood
*why* I was wrong.

> As the "howto" page stated in case of doubt ask
> the apt4rpm-suse emaillist. It would have saved
> you a lot of time, effort and bytes.

When I first saw mention of apt4rpm in the apt-get
pages, I followed the link, which seemed to imply
that I needed to install that app only if I was
creating my own repositories.  So, I ignored it.
I'm using existing repositories, and the apt
components that I already have installed seem able
to find the remote databases, make decisions about
the contents, download the indicated packages,
and perform installation or upgrades.  Do I, in
fact, still need apt4rpm, after all?

> In your case: only include the components "kde"
> and "kde3-stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.list
> file.  Now do an apt-get upgrade and see what
> you get.
[...]
> You probably get a message telling that some
> packages (among kdebase3, kdelibs etc) are
> being kept back.
> Just continue with those packages by executing
> apt-get install kdebase3 You'll will be
> prompted that Keramik will be replaced by rpm X
> answer yes and continue -> apt-get -s upgrade
> or just apt-get install <any packages you like>

What I did was to copy the sources.list file from
one of the major repositories to my /etc/apt
directory.
Then I edited it and removed the line that pointed
to source rpms, and I edited the remaining line
to remove all components except "kde" and
"kde3-stable".

I ran apt-get, but was not successful, so I
started synaptic (I'm more visual...).
Synaptic returned:
"Error: sub-process /bin/rpm returned an error
code (5)"
Hmm.
So I did Update again and then sorted (in
Synaptic) on "Broken". This showed a package list
with three items in it:

Broken			Installed	Available
=====			=======	=======
kdebase3			3.0.4-32	3.1-51
kdebase3-SuSE		8.1-56
kdenetwork3-lan		3.0.4-7	3.1-61

I selected all three and told Synaptic to "Fix".
It responded by eliminating kdebase3-SuSE and
kdenetwork3-lan, leaving just kdebase3 to be
upgraded (but thankfully no longer marked
"broken").
Ok.... so I said Upgrade.
Synaptic came back with
"Error: sub-process /bin/rpm returned an error
code (31)"
I did some googling, but did not discover what
those numeric error codes represent.  Maybe, they
were not Synaptic or apt specific.

I do have all the files downloaded to a local
directory, from ftp.gwdg.de last night (all the
kde3 stuff and the associated qt stuff, etc.
that was in the ---/SuSE8.1/kde3-stable
directory).
I can't run apt-get on that local directory,
because it does not contain a suitable database
to identify to apt what the files are for.
At this point, I thought of downloading and
installing apt4rpm, to make my own repository,
but I knew that I would still be trying to make
that work when the sun came up (it was already
past midnight), so I put that thought aside.
Instead I tried to just run rpm.

Using rpm on the contents of the downloaded
kde3-stable stuff directory, I was just chasing
my own tail with dependency spirals.
Gave up and went to bed at 02:00.

Tonight I may futz some more with apt, or I may
attempt Kristian's approach... and thereby learn
all the things that can go wrong when trying to
use a simple script.   :-)

/kevin