List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.1 on 8.1, yet again
From:       Kevin McLauchlan <kevinmcl () magma ! ca>
Date:       2003-02-05 2:46:41

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 17:58, Kristian Koehntopp wrote:
[...]
> One of the reasons I do not use apt or apt4rpm
> is that my Debian experience with apt was so
> abysmal. Half of the time Debian apt left me
> with a dialogue with rougly the meaning of
> "installation of package ... failed. You have
> the choice of a) never installing a package
> again or b) deleting all packages that have
> ever heard of the new package, including your X
> server and all software development packages
> you can think of." only worded differently.

Oh, you evil man!  Next time you are in Ottawa, Canada,
I must buy you a beer.   :-)

You realize, of course, that you have just described
most of my experience with Linux in general, in
almost the words that I would use?  And I've never
even met Debian (just SuSE and RH).

> Using rpm and a shell script I can at least
> preview what will happen to my system and
> control which dependencies I chose to ignore or
> which ones I have to work around.

Well, since I'd already beaten myself up with apt-get,
I thought I'd take one more swing using Richard Bos'
recent comments.  If that doesn't work, then I'll try your
procedure and see what /b/r/e/a/k/s/... er... happens.

Thanks,

/kevin