List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Umask for FTP session?
From:       "root" <root () anarchy ! radix ! net>
Date:       1997-12-30 18:10:31

I have several users who FTP files to our web server on a daily basis.  I have
all the users in one group called "group",  so that they can edit each other's
files with whatever editor they choose.  However, when they do FTP the files,
everyone (owner, group and other) can edit the files, even if a person doesn't
belong to the "publish" group.  I thought setting a umask of 002 in their
.profile would do the trick, but it doesn't work.  So for my question:

Does the FTP protocol read any type of profile when a user logs in to set the
individual's environment, ie. umask?  If so, what file and where??

Thanks in advance...