List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] SQLite vs. Oracle (parallelized)
From:       Alexey Pechnikov <pechnikov () mobigroup ! ru>
Date:       2009-02-24 20:09:29

Hello!

On Monday 23 February 2009 23:54:56 python@bdurham.com wrote:
> Are there any plans to enhance SQLite to support some of Oracle's
> parallel processing or partitioning capabilities?

But Oracle does not database for "cloud computing".
You can't get no-installable and no-administrate Oracle instance.
You can't use in-memory Oracle databases.
You can't easy add new functions to Oracle.
You can't [effectively] use Oracle on single SATA disk and common CPU.
You can't have hundreds of Oracle databases on single host.
You can't create mobile replica of oracle dataset for smartphone or PDA.
And do you like Oracle? :-)

Multi-core processor can perform operations with multiple instances of SQLite
in parallel. For common web application there are hundreds of read operations
on each write operation and selects performance is more important than locks
on parallel write operations. For very fast write operations you must use key-
value databases such as berkeleydb or tokyocabinet.

But SQLite have problems with long transactions. Oracle is good for this job.

Dataflow processing applications prefer in-memory databases and can be SQLite-
driven. May be this is not task for SQL-databases but SQL is very useful and
comfortable.

May be Oracle is good for mainframes but non-administrate clusters are [more]
popular now. For example mnesia database (writed on erlang) can be good for
this job by it's very complex solution.

So I think Oracle may be used for applications with long transactions and only
if you have high-powered servers. SQLite can be used for many other causes.
This preference may be lost in case SQLite will like Oracle .

Best regards.