List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] SQLite vs. Oracle (parallelized)
From:       "Jay A. Kreibich" <jay () kreibi ! ch>
Date:       2009-02-24 15:21:21

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:34:50PM -0500, python@bdurham.com scratched on the wall:
> Hi Billy,
>
> >> Are there any plans to enhance SQLite to support some of Oracle's
> >> parallel processing or partitioning capabilities?
>
> > I realized that you're asking Richard, and not the peanut gallery, but
> > I figured I might as well ask out of curiosity: why do you want to
> > see these features in SQLite?

> It would be great to see SQLite be able to exploit the extra processing
> power of multiple cores. This is not a request for handling multiple
> simultaneous transactions - it is a request to have single transactions
> be processed across multiple cores.

  The only way to go multi-core is multi-process and/or multi-thread.
  Multi-process is pretty much out of the question, given the design
  goals of SQLite.  That leaves multi-threaded.

  Ask Dr. Hipp about his feelings** on the efficiency and elegance of
  heavily threaded programming, and in specific how easy they are to
  test and verify.  Go ahead... It's a rough week at work and I could
  use the entertainment.

  ** with which I agree.

> Another interesting Oracle feature is compression. Oracle's compression
> techniques not only compress data, but also speed up many types of
> selects.

  This is one area I do think SQLite might benefit from.  As processors
  get much faster and storage only gets a little faster, it can often
  be faster to read smaller chunks off disk and decompress them than it
  is to read the uncompressed chunk.  It gets tricky with small page
  sizes, but on some platforms-- especially those doing direct access
  to slower flash devices, it might be worth it.  There are a number of
  factors to balance, but it might be an interesting exercise,
  especially if you're not interested in saving file space, only
  improving I/O speeds.

  Hwaci, Inc. (the commercial side of SQLite) does offer a read-only
  compressed file solution.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson