List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] SQLite vs. Oracle (parallelized)
From:       P Kishor <punk.kish () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-24 15:16:23

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Allan Edwards <wallanedwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> I must trade my works for currency.  "Will Code for FOOD!!!!" : - )  I
> consult and architect systems professionally and really can't afford
> to do much free work.  As much as I love to develop solutions, we are
> not in the Star Trek age of we just live to better others and
> ourselves!  If we were you would find me saying "Computer, lets work
> up a new piece of software on Sqlite... etc. etc. etc."

I am not sure what to make of this. I thought you wrote that you had
already "written a socket based server," so that would not mean any
further work for you other than putting it on the sqlite.org website
and in public domain.

On the other hand, I completely understand if your hands are tied with
either client-worker confidentiality, work-for-hire agreements, or
even the exigencies of trying to monetize your earlier work.

In open source, we have to depend on the largesse of others, who, just
like us, have exactly the same number of hours in a day, and pretty
much exactly the same kind of need for making ends meet. Someone has
to, somewhere, decide to give away something. At some point, Richard
did that with Sqlite, and we are all here as a result. Even here, many
people give generously of their time and knowledge -- most of us on
this list would get nowhere without Dan Kennedy, Dennis Cote, Igor
Tantednik, Roger Binns and the like.

The beauty of open source is that if others can't give away, we do
have the freedom of trying to meet our own needs. If we don't have the
technical ability to meet our own need, then we can trade our money or
other resources with someone who does have that ability. Barring all
of that, I would say, we are a noop.

Maybe someday someone will feel a burning need for a massively
parallelized, multi-core, full CPU utilizing SQLiteHeavy version of
this little database, and will have the time or means to make it
happen. If that happens, maybe that person will then put this
SQLiteHeavy into public domain, and maybe it will become highly
popular. We can only hope.