List:       sidewinder
Subject:    RE: [Sidewinder] Hung restore
From:       "Lechner, Bryan" <bryan_lechner () securecomputing ! com>
Date:       2001-11-15 20:03:11

Don -

You are correct that the problem was resolved in the 5.1.1 release media
(although we do have ways to help people with this problem on earlier
releases as well).  Support for the DL 380's embedded RAID controller was
not added to Sidewinder version 5.0.0.02.  Consequently, users with the 5.0
release media would run into your problem without a special boot disk
(available from Secure Computing's Customer Support).  When the 5.1 CD was
released, it contained these drivers for installation, but the restore
script was not updated to properly detect the smart array controller.  By
the time we released the 5.1.1 install media (and all subsequent releases)
we had properly updated the restore script to detect the smart array
controller.

The indication that I used to identify your problem was the fact that you
hung while trying to restore /var/spool (it also helped that you mentioned
RAID).  In every system that experienced a problem with the RAID restore, it
has hung on the /var/spool directory.  We are sorry about the trouble that
you may have suffered while attempting you initial restore process.  I
noticed that you have a valid support contract, is there any reason that you
chose not to contact customer support?

Regards,
Bryan Lechner
Technical Support Engineer