List:       samba-ntdom
Subject:    rpcclient works well... with NT servers -- where are my users ?
From:       Eric Devolder <edevolder () eft ! be>
Date:       2001-08-06 12:17:39

Hi everyone,

I've just upgraded from 2.0.7 to 2.2.1a, and it seems to work well. However,
as I try to go on deeper at the config side, I'm encountering some strange
behaviours. First I need to precise that I have an heterogeneous network
with both Win2k (sp2) and NT4 clients.

My concerns are about the user manager. Well, I've managed for some
installation to browse with the user manager of Win2K the users of samba,
even to add some network user to the local users of the machine (typically
Power Users, often needed on laptops in order to use power-saving
facilities). But suddenly, it doesn't work any more: When I click on
"apply", Win2k tells me that it was unable to find the user that I could
browse a few moments before.

Okay, time to dig into samba internals, using rpcclient. This tool works
quite well, and I've tried to ask NT servers in our network with this tool,
successfully.

Now time to ask the samba server. My biggest concern is when I try to find
the SID of a user using lookupnames on the samba server. It returns always
the NULL SID. My question is: is this feature implemented within samba, or
is this a problem with rpcclient?

I successfully managed to join both NT4 & Win2K machines to the samba
server; so I guess that at least this information has to be stored
somewhere. Why is rpcclient unable to give me that info?

as a (suspected side-effect), I get the visit of Dr Watson on NT4 with
LSASS.EXE when trying to add a domain user to a local machine group.

Anyone an idea ?

Regards,

Eric Devolder (<edevolder@eft.be>)