List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: I need to learn...
From:       7stud 7stud <dolgun () excite ! com>
Date:       2007-03-12 10:28:19

Morton Goldberg wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2007, at 4:13 AM, 7stud 7stud wrote:
>
> When I'm actually writing "serious" Ruby code, of course, I save it to a
> file in my text editor (I use Vim for that).  I find that irb serves as
> an indispensable aid a lot of the time, however.  Your mileage may vary.

Is there a way to get Vim to automatically indent code?

> the tab key is the key used to
> complete code snippets.
> ...if you highlight the two lines
>
> foo = bar
> zot ||= []
>
> and hit cntrl-shift-W, inserts the code snippet

I don't get the digit gymnastics that most text editors require you to
perform to use auto completion.  Is there no way to bind the auto
completion to the space bar in TextMate?  If you've never coded with
space-bar auto-completion, you haven't lived!  The type of auto
completion I'm talking about seems like such a simple feature to
implement: you have a flat text file with a list of character sequences
and the corresponding code(phrase, name, whatever), and then the typing
the characters plus hitting the space bar produce the code.

Personally, I've never really liked the Xcode, MS Visual C++ style of
auto completion where a list pops up--it's just too slow to find what
you want in the list.  I just started using Xcode, and I don't have
anything favorable to say about it. I can't even get it to properly line
up nested braces when using this style of braces:

void myFunc()
{

}

I mean matching up braces has to be the most basic requirement of any
IDE, but Xcode(2.4) can't do it for nested braces.  Ridiculous.

Sorry to the op for the thread drift.  I also want to thank everyone
else for the really insightful posts on good Ruby books and text
editors.