List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Fox --> GTK  ?
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-04-21 10:09:07

Hal Fulton wrote:

> Who has experience converting Fox to GTK and might like to
> offer a little assistance?
>
> Specific areas are MDI and tree lists.
>
> It's about Tycho (http://tycho.rubyforge.org) where I've more or
> less hit a wall.
>
> I don't want to proceed until I can fix the biggest bugs, and I think
> I've reached the critical point where Fox is just too hard for me.
Have you thought of trying QtRuby or the Korundum KDE bindings? The version
released as part of KDE 3.2.2 is starting to look pretty good, I don't know
of anything much wrong with it technically. There isn't much documentation,
and so you need to be able to understand the (excellent) Qt C++ docs in
order to use it.

KDE has some classes called KMdi* which are used for some advanced KDE UI's
such as KDevelop. Or Qt has a class called QDockWindow, which is really
intended for dockable toolbars. Maybe a QDockWindow could contain a text
widget. And there is a QCanvas too, as well as tree list equivalents.

QtRuby includes a tool called 'rbuic' which allows you to sketch out UI's
with Qt Designer, and then compile the .ui file produced into ruby. I would
have thought something like Qt Designer or Glade are pretty essential for
ruby RAD, otherwise it probably won't be much quicker than a 'normal'
language.

-- Richard