List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Fox --> GTK  ?
From:       "Curt Hibbs" <curt () hibbs ! com>
Date:       2004-04-21 2:58:12

alex fenton wrote:

> Hal Fulton wrote:
>
> > Who has experience converting Fox to GTK and might like to
> > offer a little assistance?
> >
> > Specific areas are MDI and tree lists.
> >
> > It's about Tycho (http://tycho.rubyforge.org) where I've more or
> > less hit a wall.
>
> I've been getting kinda stuck with Fox on 1.6.8 working on an app with
> similar interface components (inc trees and MDI) - an qualitative data
> analysis app. Today I've been looking at wXRuby as a possible
> replacement, and I thought it might be of interest.
>
> The binary downloads worked easily with the 1.8.1 Ruby installer ruby.
> The tree demonstration is comprehensive, and the simple MDI example does
>   feel a bit slicker than Fox - for example, nice cascading of
> successively opened documents.
>
> There are some missing classes (HTML is one I was hoping for), but it's
> reasonably documented; wxWidgets (the underlying library) also seems to
> have some more discursive docs, which I like - eg
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.4.2/wx485.htm#wxtreectrloverview
>
> It also all worked very easily with a recent exerb when packaged up
> (along with sqlite) into a single .exe on Windows.

Be sure to see the wxRuby API documentation and look at the classes to make
sure that what you need has been implemented in wxRuby. All the basics are
there, but we have not yet wrapped the entire wxWidgets library. On Windows
there is a start menu shortcut for "wxRuby Help", and its available online
at:

  http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wxrubydoc.html

Curt