List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Fox --> GTK  ?
From:       alex fenton <alex () pressure ! to>
Date:       2004-04-21 2:49:16

Hi Hal

Hal Fulton wrote:

> Who has experience converting Fox to GTK and might like to
> offer a little assistance?
>
> Specific areas are MDI and tree lists.
>
> It's about Tycho (http://tycho.rubyforge.org) where I've more or
> less hit a wall.

I've been getting kinda stuck with Fox on 1.6.8 working on an app with
similar interface components (inc trees and MDI) - an qualitative data
analysis app. Today I've been looking at wXRuby as a possible
replacement, and I thought it might be of interest.

The binary downloads worked easily with the 1.8.1 Ruby installer ruby.
The tree demonstration is comprehensive, and the simple MDI example does
  feel a bit slicker than Fox - for example, nice cascading of
successively opened documents.

There are some missing classes (HTML is one I was hoping for), but it's
reasonably documented; wxWidgets (the underlying library) also seems to
have some more discursive docs, which I like - eg
http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.4.2/wx485.htm#wxtreectrloverview

It also all worked very easily with a recent exerb when packaged up
(along with sqlite) into a single .exe on Windows.

cheers
alex