List:       redhat-list
Subject:    RE: KDE Performance
From:       Fred Whipple <fwhipple () imagineis ! com>
Date:       2003-05-15 5:35:33

> I've never had problems with KDE being sluggish (especially
> KDE3 for the
> short time I was able to run it under Debian and the short
> time I used
> RH8.0). I find it odd that it's so slow for you on a better
> equiped (RAM
> wise) machine. I also don't have a very large SWAP (only
> about 256MB). I
> do agree though that KDE is definitly a great DE. I just wish it used
> GTK+ instead of Qt. ;)

Ok, ok, hiding my head in shame, I'll append my statement ;-)

I've used Linux as a primary desktop since '96, have been using KDE since <
1.0, but switched to Windows XP a year ago.  Ouch!  I can feel the flogging
already...

I still use Linux on a second notebook on my desk (tied together using
Synergy, best utility EVER!) and interacting with KDE on one machine and
Windows XP on another machine makes KDE feel 1/10th the speed of XP.
Switching to Gnome on the Linux machine has made the Linux machine "feel"
much faster, and closer to the XP system.

So I wouldn't go so far as to say KDE is ineffably slow, just slow*er* than
Gnome "feels" on the same machine.  Slow enough to breach the threshold of
"annoying" when used on conjuction to an admittedly evil, but zippy, XP.

Also, FWIW, I kinda like QT -- I wrote my one and only GUI application ever
in QT.  Yep, you guessed it, an exact replica of the countdown timer on that
guy's notebook from Independence Day :-)

	-Fred